Get All Latest Research News done in the field of Physics, Chemistry, Medical Science, Electronics, Space, Environment , Nanotechnology, Computing and More

Please Join Us On Facebook and Twitter

Tuesday, 12 November 2019

Two daily cleaning products have generated toxic fumes in a restaurant, killing an employee


The manager of a Buffalo Wild Wings restaurant died after being exposed to toxic fumes generated by blending two common cleaning products. Other employees (more than a dozen) were also affected by the toxic releases.

Please support by visiting the ads in the post your little click can help us to keep posting stuff beneficial for general knowlege, please leave a comment if you have any suggestions:
And Please follow us on Twitter 
Thank you 😊

On Thursday, November 7th, an employee of a Buffalo Wild Wings in Burlington, Mass., Began cleaning the back of the restaurant with a common cleaner called "Super 8". The incident occurred shortly thereafter.

The solution of Super 8 is based on sodium hypochlorite, a disinfectant and bleaching agent (used especially in the form of bleach). Its unique use does not represent a danger. However, unbeknownst to the employee, another acid-based cleaner, the Scale Kleen, had been spilled on the floor shortly before, according to NBC News .

A deadly mixture

Blending the two chemicals produced a substance that "turned green and started to bubble," said Michael Patterson, Burlington Fire Chief.

The first exposed employee quickly developed eye burns and began to experience breathing difficulties. He then left the premises. The restaurant manager then took over, trying to scrape the mixture, but he too developed severe symptoms, making him unable to continue.

The manager, Ryan Baldera, 32, died shortly after at the hospital, according to the local newspaper NBC Boston . Thirteen other people, also exposed to toxic fumes, were taken care of.

The chemical accident occurred at a Buffalo Wild Wings in Burlington, Massachusetts (United States). Credits: Google Street View

Common cleaning products can be dangerous or even deadly when mixed incorrectly. For example, bleach can react with ammonia, acids and other cleaners. The resulting reactions can give rise to potentially life-threatening toxic fumes.

Responsible potential: chlorine gas


When bleach is mixed with acid (such as vinegar or chemicals found in some window cleaners, drains and toilet bowls), chlorine gas is produced. Exposure to chlorine usually causes irritation of the eyes, throat and nose, causing coughing and breathing problems. Moreover, it should be known that due to its toxicity, the dichlore was one of the first combat gases used during the First World War.

At high concentrations, chlorine gas can cause severe breathing difficulties and fluid production in the lungs. At very high concentrations, a deep emanation can cause death.

A team specialized in dangerous substances was convened to treat the premises of the restaurant, which was temporarily closed by the city. Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) is also investigating the accident.

Source1 Source 2

1 comment: