Get All Latest Research News done in the field of Physics, Chemistry, Medical Science, Electronics, Space, Environment , Nanotechnology, Computing and More

Showing posts with label Unusual. Show all posts
Showing posts with label Unusual. Show all posts

Tuesday, 12 November 2019

Two daily cleaning products have generated toxic fumes in a restaurant, killing an employee


The manager of a Buffalo Wild Wings restaurant died after being exposed to toxic fumes generated by blending two common cleaning products. Other employees (more than a dozen) were also affected by the toxic releases.

Please support by visiting the ads in the post your little click can help us to keep posting stuff beneficial for general knowlege, please leave a comment if you have any suggestions:
And Please follow us on Twitter 
Thank you 😊

On Thursday, November 7th, an employee of a Buffalo Wild Wings in Burlington, Mass., Began cleaning the back of the restaurant with a common cleaner called "Super 8". The incident occurred shortly thereafter.

The solution of Super 8 is based on sodium hypochlorite, a disinfectant and bleaching agent (used especially in the form of bleach). Its unique use does not represent a danger. However, unbeknownst to the employee, another acid-based cleaner, the Scale Kleen, had been spilled on the floor shortly before, according to NBC News .

A deadly mixture

Blending the two chemicals produced a substance that "turned green and started to bubble," said Michael Patterson, Burlington Fire Chief.

The first exposed employee quickly developed eye burns and began to experience breathing difficulties. He then left the premises. The restaurant manager then took over, trying to scrape the mixture, but he too developed severe symptoms, making him unable to continue.

The manager, Ryan Baldera, 32, died shortly after at the hospital, according to the local newspaper NBC Boston . Thirteen other people, also exposed to toxic fumes, were taken care of.

The chemical accident occurred at a Buffalo Wild Wings in Burlington, Massachusetts (United States). Credits: Google Street View

Common cleaning products can be dangerous or even deadly when mixed incorrectly. For example, bleach can react with ammonia, acids and other cleaners. The resulting reactions can give rise to potentially life-threatening toxic fumes.

Responsible potential: chlorine gas


When bleach is mixed with acid (such as vinegar or chemicals found in some window cleaners, drains and toilet bowls), chlorine gas is produced. Exposure to chlorine usually causes irritation of the eyes, throat and nose, causing coughing and breathing problems. Moreover, it should be known that due to its toxicity, the dichlore was one of the first combat gases used during the First World War.

At high concentrations, chlorine gas can cause severe breathing difficulties and fluid production in the lungs. At very high concentrations, a deep emanation can cause death.

A team specialized in dangerous substances was convened to treat the premises of the restaurant, which was temporarily closed by the city. Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) is also investigating the accident.

Source1 Source 2

Sunday, 27 October 2019

A lab worker accidentally injects a virus associated with smallpox into her finger

An employee of a laboratory accidentally injected the vaccinia virus into her finger. | Whitehouse ER / MMWR 2019 / CDC

An employee at a laboratory in San Diego, USA, accidentally injected the vaccinia virus (a virus associated with smallpox) into one of her fingers. The infection resulting from this accident caused the swelling and blackening of the finger, which took more than three months to heal.

Please support by visiting the ads in the post your little click can help us to keep posting stuff beneficial for general knowlege, please leave a comment if you have any suggestions:
And Please follow us on Twitter 
Thank you 😊

According to the report relaying the accident, this case is quite unique, as this is the first time that doctors have used tecovirimat (a recently approved smallpox medication) to treat this condition. laboratory-acquired infection with vaccinia virus.

It should be known that the vaccinia virus is similar to the smallpox virus. However, vaccinia is less dangerous and does not cause smallpox. Moreover, vaccinia is the virus used to make smallpox vaccine: a global vaccination effort involving this vaccine led to the eradication of smallpox worldwide in 1980.

Although the vaccine is no longer widely used today, doctors prescribe it to people at risk of exposure to smallpox or similar viruses, such as scientists who work with the vaccine virus ( in research contexts, vaccinia virus can be used as delivery vector for gene or anticancer therapies).


But in the case described in this article, the female lab worker, a 26-year-old woman, involuntarily stabbed herself with a needle while performing an experiment forcing her to inject vaccinia virus into mice. . She immediately rinsed her finger with water for 15 minutes, warned her superiors and went to an emergency room.

Although the laboratory worker had the opportunity to receive the smallpox vaccine before starting work on vaccinia, she refused the vaccination. It is important to note that this smallpox vaccine has more side effects than most commonly offered vaccines today. Indeed, unlike most vaccines, which use weakened or killed viruses, the smallpox vaccine contains live vaccinia virus.

As a result, a few days after receiving the vaccine, people are expected to develop red and itchy lesions at the vaccination site. After that, the lesion turns into a large blister filled with pus. While the vaccination site is healing, it is necessary to cover it with a dressing that should be changed about every three days. Finally, a crust forms on the blister and falls, leaving a small scar. The whole healing process takes about three weeks. So it's not just a trivial vaccine.

An employee of a laboratory was accidentally infected with a smallpox-related virus: vaccinia virus. In this image, the detail of the employee's finger wound during the days and months following the accident. Credits: Whitehouse ER / MMWR 2019 / CDC

However, it should also be noted that despite these uncomfortable side effects, the vaccine has a very low risk of serious complications. On the other hand, accidental injection of vaccinia virus during laboratory work can lead to serious wound infections, which may require hospitalization.

In the case of this employee, about 10 days after the accident, she developed swelling and injury where the needle had planted. Later she had a fever and the swelling got worse. At that time, doctors feared she was developing a " lodge syndrome ", a serious condition characterized by excessive pressure inside a muscle.

Twelve days after the accident, the doctors decided to treat the woman with tecovirimat for 14 days, with a single dose of vaccinia immunoglobulin, which consists of an antibody from individuals already vaccinated against the disease. The woman also received antibiotics to prevent a bacterial infection of her wound.

According to the report, it was after 48 hours of treatment that his fever disappeared and the pain and swelling of his finger decreased. Nevertheless, areas of necrotic tissue (either dead) on her finger have not fully healed for more than three months, and she has not been able to get to work during this time.

When asked why she had not initially agreed to take the smallpox vaccine for prevention, the laboratory employee stated that at the time she "  did not understand the extent of the consequences that the 'infection could cause  '. In addition, the latter thought that it would be difficult to manage the lesion of the vaccination site and was worried about possible side effects (mentioned above).

Also according to the report, in this particular case, tecovirimal has been used safely to treat a vaccinia virus infection . However, "  as this is only one case, it is unclear whether the drug would be justified for other infections with this virus, " the authors said.


Source